Monday, April 12, 2010

Couch to 5K: Week 1

So I thought it fitting that since I signed up for my first 5K and that I am following the c25k program, I would post my training progress here. After all, posting it here, means I actually have to do it and keeps me honest. I am using an iPhone app for my c25k, so that I don't have to keep looking at my watch and timing myself. I can play my own music and the voice lets me know when it's time to run/walk.

This first week alternated between 60s of jogging/running and 90s of walking. With a warm-up and cool down before and after. It actually took me a week and a half to complete the first week, due to work and time commitments.

I find that the first 2 or 3 running sets are really tough on me, however once I am past that, the rest of the session goes fine. I did one session at the gym on the treadmill, it wasn't bad, but it's hard to judge what speed to bump up to for the running portion. I prefer running outdoors.

I really do need at least one rest day in between sessions, I'm still very heavy and my joints need the time off. My doctor said long ago that I would never be a runner, I have bad ankles, so I am going against her advice, but I plan on doing it smartly and taking time when I need to. I do notice knee and ankle pain after the training session.

I am excited to begin week 2. Next week is 90s of jogging/running with 2 minutes of walking in between. Slow and Steady.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Week 3 was the hardest week for me. Everything after that was much easier. Good luck on Week 2.

Lucy said...

Slow and steady will keep you on the road!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails