Sunday, May 16, 2010

Couch to 5K Update!

Wow, never thought I'd be blogging about that! Since the sinus infection from hell, I had to put my 5K training on hold. Every time my feet impacted the ground the roof of my mouth and the top teeth would kill, like someone was ripping them out. I couldn't run...  On top of that, the whole breathing thing wasn't working right, WAY too much mucus up there... (gross!)

However, since finishing the course of antibiotics, and getting some well needed rest, I am feeling much better and today decided to venture out to pick up where I left off with the program. Today was Week 2 day 2.

Considering I haven't trained in 3 weeks and coming off a pretty nasty infection, I didn't expect much, but I pushed myself to at least try. And you know what, it wasn't that bad... I did fairly ok. At the end, I was beat though, but so happy that I got back on. The old me, would have just given up. BIG NSV (non-scale victory)!!

With my first 5k in 3 weeks, I don't believe that I will be finished with the C25K training program, as of now, my plan is to walk/jog it as best as I can. I've only ever done a 5K at a walk before, and it was for breast cancer and I was with a bunch of friends, so we didn't really keep track of time or anything. I am going to try and track my time so that I have a baseline and something to work on.

I haven't "fallen in love" with running yet, but I want to give it a try. I love walking and hiking, so it just seemed very natural, but I'm going to keep at it. I do believe that the more weight I lose the easier running will come as I won't feel like I am doing damage to my legs with all that pressure on my joints.

I also haven't forgotten my mini goal of my looming 10%. I would still like to achieve my 10% goal (31 pounds) by the end of May. That gives me 2 weeks and roughly 5 pounds to go. Totally achievable.

I think this week on my days off, I want to at least walk the race course for my 5k, I am familiar with the area (it's probably 3 or 4 towns over from me) but I'd only even driven in the area, never walked.

5 comments:

Kenlie said...

I"m careful with running now too. I love to jog, and while I don't feel it now I certainly don't want to hurt my joints from unnecessary impact.

I feel it in my head, but I have to let my body continue to catch up. :)

Happy to hear that you're feeling better too. That definitely makes things much easier.

Kerri O said...

That's awesome! Definitely a good choice to take off running when sick. I always do.
Walk/jogging is an awesome choice for a 5k. I think you'll be surprised the difference it will make.

Lucy said...

Way to go, Way to go!!!!

Cassie said...

Thank you everyone for the awesome comments!

Melanie said...

I saw a comment you left on Seth's blog that said you loved ice cream, and had a homemade ice cream maker. I have a good, lower calorie/fat recipe if you would like it. Leave me a message at my blog if you do.
About the 5k, your body can do amazing things when you let it. You will be fine at your first 5k, even if you haven't finished your training. It can gauge your fitness and let you know where your at in your training. I have a few tips on my blog that might help, I hope. Take care. running2learn.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails