Saturday, May 8, 2010

No Excuses (part two)

I'm a little late to the game, but hey, life is busy... but I wanted to share Carla's second installment about No Excuses! in her post she talkes about some general excuses and her answers to those said excuses. What a great post, I suggest you go read it.

In No Excuses part one, Carla created a t-shirt with all of the excuses she had given written on it, I too created one. This has been huge, it helps me to visualize what my self-inflicted setbacks are and work to develop a plan of action.

My BIGGEST excuse has been work.

My schedule is a bit wonky at best. I work an 8 day rotating work week that has an 8 week cycle (sounds like a bad menstral cycle if you ask me!). It took some getting used to. It helped that my dad worked for the same fire department that I do, so I grew up with the schedule.

I work 48 hours a week. 2 ten hour days and 2 fourteen hour nights; then 4 days off. When I tried working out with Curves, it was difficult because I couldn't get on a good schedule. I would work out after work and that was it. I didn't feel like driving over on my days off just to go workout. So I quit...

Now, I belong to a gym that is smack in the middle of my commute. Halfway to work and halfway to home, it works perfectly. Curves was located in the town that I work in, so to drive over, put me in a work mindset, which just didn't work well for me. My current gym also is open 24 hours during the week which gives me a lot of flexibility since I work long shifts.

I've got a good rhythm now, as of late my problem has been my co-workers taking time off and no one else is willing to step up and take some overtime. You think with the economy being that it is, that my co-workers and I would be fighting over extra money. That is not the case, and typically falls back to me. Today is a good example, a co-worker called out and no one else wanted to work so here I am, at work. I was planning on going to the gym today, but it is just not in the cards (with the overtime shift today I am here on a 24 hr shift) so I will be going tomorrow. So for me, lately the problem has been more a timing thing. I schedule the time, but then something will come up last minute. I am very thankful that I have a fairly flexible schedule, but I do believe at times it can be a hinderance.

I really should look into finding some workplace workouts or even just stretches that I could do at work just to have something to make me a bit more accountable.

What is your biggest excuse to your weight loss goal? Do you have a plan to combat it?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails