Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veteran's Day & Tis the season?

Is it too early to talk about Christmas? Never! I say. I love this time of year. It's also Toy Bank season (www.toy-bank.com). The union that I belong to, Professional Firefighters of Hampton, Local 2664, donate countless man hours to the toy bank. Every year we help families and children have a Christmas that may have gone without. This project has always been a passion of mine, and it's in my blood, my dad started it almost 30 years ago! Before I was born! I have many countless memories of going places with my dad in town, and doing Toy Bank things. So naturally when I became a Fire Alarm Operator and joined the local, it was a given on who was going to take over Toy Bank and fill my dad's large shoes. Dad is still there helping me and guiding me, making sure I don't miss a single thing, and I am so appreciative of his help. There couldn't have been a more seamless transition.

I am fearful of a troublesome year. As everyone knows, the economy isn't the greatest and many people are without a job. Times are tight and everyone is reining in their spending. My fear is a decrease in donations with an increase in need. Every little bit is going to help this year.

So with that, my mind is focused and I am diligently working on Toy Bank things, to make this year a great year. I have to stay positive.

In more personal news. I have been attending weight watchers for 5 weeks now. Overall I am down about 10 pounds, but this past week I was up 4 pounds! I attribute it to my mini vacation this past weekend. (I took Ben to Providence, RI for an overnight trip) and we ate like Kings! LOL. So its ok to relax - so long as I don't give up. And I am back at it again. I am determined that I will not be this heavy for my life. I have too much to live for.

We have a new dispatcher, he's working out well. I am finally getting my routine back a little bit. I hope that stays, I like my routine...

Tomorrow I am heading west, to the Big E with the girls from PatchWood farms for the Equine Affair. I am looking forward to the drive! And to be surrounded for at least a day, of all things, horsey!

In closing, I'd like to say "Thank you" to the Veterans out there, past or present. Thank you for the service to your country, which enables me to live my life the way I want to.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails