Sunday, July 24, 2011

Heat Wave

Unless you've been living under a cool rock, pretty much the entire country has been in a heat wave, with New England having the worst of it the last 2-3 days. Thankfully, it's forecasted to be less humid and not as hot tomorrow. Which would be a welcomed relief. 


Thursday, my best friend came over and we went for a couch to 5K training run, it was the first day of the heat wave. Ben decided to join in our "fun" and come with us. 


I started doubting myself from the moment I saw 90 degrees plus in the forecast. I said, well I'll go, but I may only end up walking, I didn't want to push myself too hard and end up hurting myself. I stayed hydrated the whole day, drinking lots of water. 


When I got to the track, I wanted to at least try running. After my warm up walk, I hit the first run interval, and as I sucked in hot and humid air, I picked up my feet and ran. It was like having a heater blast your face the entire time. But I ran, and continued to run at every interval. I did cut 2-3 intervals short by a few seconds, but I still ran. 


And at the end, I was so proud of myself for not giving into the excuses and taking the "easy" way out. Not that it was an excuse, it was hot enough that any activity outside would have been a challenge. 


As I got back into my car, I started it up and noticed the temperature gauge, it read 93*, I couldn't believe that I had just ran in 93* weather. I was dripping in sweat. Getting back home and after taking a shower I still was sweating and had to stand in front of our A/C unit for a good 5 minutes before I could stop sweating. 


But I did it. In a heat wave. Goes to show you that you shouldn't let anything get you down, that you can accomplish anything if you set your mind to it. 


Mind you now two days later, and my knee is still bothering me, I haven't been able to walk far (let alone run) I am hoping that by tomorrow night my knee will be feeling better, I am hopeful to get a gym session in. 


I am proud and accomplished. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails