Monday, May 7, 2012

House Hunt

I've been meaning to write this post but I didn't know what to write.

At first, I was upset. But now, I am better/ok with it.

Here's what happened. We saw a house that we both loved. We saw so much potential in this house, I already knew which bedroom would be mine and the babies room, Ben's office, etc. So afterwards, Ben and I sat down and took a hard look at our finances.

We realized that we can't swing it, financially. We aren't eligible for any first time home buyer assistance programs. So that means that we would have to come up with the full 20% down to avoid PMI.

So we are going to go with our backup plan, to stay put in our apartment and save our money. Thankfully our place is big enough that we can swing having a baby here. It's not ideal, but it's the right decision to make.

We know what it costs to live in our apartment, we've been here long enough. With a house, we don't know all the expenses and we didn't want to become house poor.

We talked with our lovely realtor, and she thinks that we are making a smart decision. She also said that she will keep sending us listings and if we want to go see anything, she'll arrange it for us.

At first, I cried... more so because of the hormones, but I was upset, I had done what you shouldn't do, and go and fall in love with a house. Which may I say, is hard to do when you need to picture yourself living there? I called one of my BFF's that night and vented to her. But the more time that has passed, I've gotten more comfortable with it.

And it is the smart/right decision. Now that it's been made, I must say it's been kind of a relief for us, we have been waiting on a lot of decisions because we didn't know where we were going to be living. Now that it's decided, we can focus on setting up our second bedroom as our nursery. Which has gotten me excited.

I am happy with our decision. Life is going to be filled with tough decisions. I love that my husband and I can talk and rationalize things. To weigh the pros and cons of things and try to make a reasonable decision.


1 comment:

Dee@StartDreaming said...

So sorry about the house! I think you are doing the right thing too. It will be tight and a bit tough at times, but saving so you don't go "house poor" will be the best plan for ALL of you in the long run.

Take care!
Dee

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails