Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My brodjer

Or as some people would say, my brother.

He's my baby brother, a whole 18 months younger than me (hello Irish twins!), but he's always been like an older brother.

Nick, me and Dad

Growing up we fought and didn't really see eye to eye. I was the honor student, Nick was the one who got into trouble. My parents would go to open house and find my teachers and what they had to say boring. "she's perfect and wonderful" they got sick of hearing it ;-) Nick's teachers however were more interesting, because my parents never knew what they were going to say.

Once I left for college, I think the distance allowed Nick and I to tolerate one another and eventually want to hang out with one another. I could be my own person, and Nick could be his own person.

My brodjer has always been there for me through the rough and tough times of growing up. Offering big brother advice and always a hug when I needed it.

Nick, Wezzie (stepmom) and me
So when I thought about who could recap my life and offer up a great speech, I knew my brodjer would be the ideal person. We've always been busting on each other but at the end of the day we are there.

I was happy and sad when he and his wife made the decision to move to North Carolina. Happy that they had just gotten married and were starting their life down in NC, sad that the distance would mean we don't get to see each other often. When my brother called with the news that he was enrolling in a college - for criminal justice - I died laughing, it's a perfect career choice for Nick, since he was ALWAYS in trouble for one thing or another. I couldn't have been more prouder for my brother of his decision. It would mean that they would have to extend their time down in NC, but he would graduate with a degree. The family knew he was smart, all he had to do was find his own way. He's excelling in college.

Their move caused our relationship to shift, to more of a phone/e-mail/facebook relationship, which took some getting used to.

My brodjer's speech is probably going to embarrass me, but it's the way our relationship has always been and I wouldn't have it any other way. I know deep down he loves me like only a brother can. And he knows that I just put up with him as only a sister could. Our upbringing was the same, our paths were VERY different but the end result is the same.

When my mother told us she had cancer, Nick was on the next flight to come up to be there with her (us).  It's great to know that he's always there, even still. 

I love my baby brodjer and couldn't be more prouder of his accomplishments and the direction his life is heading in. I can't wait to see what the future holds for him and his family.

Nick and I

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails